Saturday, December 12, 2009

Saturday, 12 December: The People Take to the Streets

Greetings everyone.

This morning my plane landed uneventfully at the airport in Copenhagen, but little did I know the city was stirring. An estimated 100,000 people (my sources may be inaccurate, check the news!) took to the streets Saturday in peaceful demonstration, calling for strong measures to regulate climate change. The action began with a rally in front of parliament in near freezing temperatures. Groups of activists carried banners, played music, chanted, and passed out flyers as they made their way through the streets of Copenhagen toward the Bella Center.

Upon my arrival, my hosts informed me of the event, which, according to them, was supposed to be a way for the Danish people to voice their opinion on the proceedings of the climate conference. The crowd was made up of more than just Danes, however. People from around the world (Tibet, the Arctic, Asia, you name it) took to the streets in solidarity, calling for agressive action. I took as many pictures as I could of the masses listening to the speakers, marching the streets, shouting, and climbing the street lamps.

Even in the relative chaos of this huge demonstration, peace prevailed. Some arrests were made, but the majority of the demonstrators were simply out to voice their support for global action on climate change.

I think that this demonstration shows that people really are concerned about this issue and want to see their leaders usher in a new era of climate politics by negotiating an effective solution. While I didn't make it to the Bella Center today, I believe that this demonstration is an important example of what is really happening here in Copenhagen, and a valuable experience to share with the followers of this blog. Not bad for my first day in town.

I've also been informed that so many people have signed up to come to the conference that some organizations that have been granted accredidation may be turned away at the Bella Center. Now that shows a strong interest from the world when the turn out almost doubles the capacity of the venue. Luckily, Copenhagen is alive with a variety of climate events throughout the week, so even those who are denied access to the official sessions will have the opportunity to explore the other events going on throughout the city that encourage dialogue on climate issues.

-Heather Berry

No comments:

Post a Comment